Welcome to MDF-The Largest Madhuri Dixit Forum On Net.

At the moment, you are viewing the forum as a guest. As a guest you can't make post and participate in discussions. You need to register and become a member of the forum.Please log in if you are already a member or join our community if you're not yet....

Thank You

You are not connected. Please login or register

» Madhuri Dixit World » Latest News/Articles Section » Madhuri: Sense behind the sensation

Madhuri: Sense behind the sensation

Luskamralus

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Female
Number of posts : 8432
Registration date : 2008-10-24
Madhuri: Sense behind the sensation

What usually would be a droll conversation starter, “Hi, how are you?”, is full of possibilities with Madhuri. Her voice is warm, her style gracious and relaxed on a crisp spring morning in Auckland. It’s hard to believe that Madhuri has had a long night of performing to a full arena and an even longer flight only a few hours ago. In fact, it’s almost as if I’m just catching up with an old friend who is passing through town.

“My job is about people and I love what I do,” explains the dhak-dhak girl on being able to carry her celebrity this easily. “For the most part, I feel very fortunate to get so much love from people.”

She is certainly not complaining about the burden of celebrity, saying that “it is never black and white,” which is of course the proper thing for a Bollywood star to say. And yet, there is an unmistakable trace of the suburban Mumbai girl.

Veteran journalist Sudhir Gadgil remembers her from an early interview at her parents’ home, long before the ‘Madhuri sensation’ burst onto the silver screen in a shower of light and sound. He says, she was pacing in the living room, thin and lanky, tossing peanuts in the air before expertly popping them into her mouth as she answered his questions.

From then to now, she has thrived in a winner take all industry where friends are few and fans are fickle.

Being a star or a performer; the difference is very little. “It’s all about talent,” says Madhuri. She swears by talent and talent alone, as the secret to a long and fulfilling career. “If you have talent, you don’t need anything else,” she maintains.

I suspect though, that she is being modest by underplaying the hard work that goes into the mix.

Madhuri’s commitment and approach to her craft is old-school. Bollywood legend has it that the hours she spent practicing the ek-do-teen number, had veteran coreographer Saroj Khan gushing over the young artist. The song ultimately had industry biggies dancing to her tune.

On stage at Auckland’s Vector Arena, the inevitable reference to this number from the house brings out Madhuri’s easy smile.

Her career spans over two decades and she has worked with all the big names including the Khan-trinity. In a mostly male dominated industry, where most of her co-stars from the 1980s are confined by convention; Madhuri is enjoying an enviable second innings that includes new ventures like her online dance academy and carefully selected roles.

Lucky for her, the timing seems to have worked well. The Indian movie-business is changing for the better with a multiplex boom making room for better scripts with meaty roles and appreciation for a nuanced performance.

Take for instance her next film Gulaab Gang. Madhuri is cast as a leader of an all women vigilante gang.

The role drew her to the script, but in a society where violence is a telling symptom of a systemic failure to offer redressal, what is her view on ordinary people taking up arms?

“When the going gets tough, the tough get going, right?” she quips. “It is inevitable and natural that ordinary people would take up arms. Revolutions are made of this stuff and can change society for the better,” she counters.

In preparing for the role, she says she put her trust in the director and the script, and added her own elements to the character through observation. “Though it’s a serious subject, the film has all the elements of a Bollywood film,” she adds. Never the one to hypothesise with the what-ifs, she is tactful with words, astute with her decisions and constantly evolving. With film-talk, Madhuri is sure-footed. Any talk of her personal life though, is out of bounds.

“I am like any other person. I enjoy time with my kids and my husband. I do my best and enjoy my life. I’m very simple,” she says. She recently lost her father. A mention of her family has her reminiscing about him.

“I miss him,” she adds.

http://www.indianweekender.co.nz/Pages/ArticleDetails/7/4004/New-Zealand/Madhuri-Sense-behind-the-sensation#.UmZy_S5RhXQ.twitter

#1 - Posted on Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:46 pm

View user profile

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum