Welcome to MDF-The Largest Madhuri Dixit Forum On Net.

At the moment, you are viewing the forum as a guest. As a guest you can't make post and participate in discussions. You need to register and become a member of the forum.Please log in if you are already a member or join our community if you're not yet....

Thank You

You are not connected. Please login or register

» Madhuri Dixit World » Latest News/Articles Section » Madhuri Dixit and Karan Johar on films, faves and firsts

Madhuri Dixit and Karan Johar on films, faves and firsts

aanchal

MDF Expert
MDF Expert
Female
Number of posts : 3313
Registration date : 2007-05-11
t2 caught up with Madhuri Dixit and Karan Johar for a fun tete-a-tete on the Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa sets on a rainy Mumbai evening. Over to Mads and KJo…

Madhuri, Karan is someone who is known to have an opinion about everything. Has there been something that he has said or done on Jhalak or otherwise that you haven’t liked?

Madhuri: (Laughs out loud) I love the fact that he has an opinion about everything because that’s always way better than not having an opinion at all! But honestly, I love Karan’s sense of humour and the way he can be sarcastic without you even realising it. (Karan grimaces playfully) He’s someone who everyone in the industry loves. Even on Jhalak, he is the most fun among the three of us (Madhuri, Karan and Remo D’Souza) and is responsible for much of the humour that you see on the show.

Karan, do you sometimes feel irritated that so much of the focus in Jhalak is on Madhuri?

Karan: It is a dance show and obviously most of the interest will be on Madhuri. But Remo and I also manage to steal away a lot of her attention (winks). Haven’t you noticed that these days I am called on the Jhalak stage to dance as much as Madhuri is? (Laughs) But then she’s a diva and always has been. I feel happy to see how much fans love her on the show and beyond.

Karan, what was your reaction when you heard that Madhuri had decided to shift to India permanently?

Karan: I was elated! Madhuri has always been one of our most complete entertainers and like the rest of the country, I had been missing her on screen all these years. Of course, she was happy doing her duties as a homemaker, but I think it’s been a very prudent decision on her part to come back. Madhuri Dixit’s a brand name and she would do well to leverage that.

Madhuri, after so many years away from the limelight, does it get a little overwhelming sometimes?

Madhuri: It’s sometimes overwhelming, yes. But I have handled a lot of pressure even during my acting days, rushing from one set to another… staying up late nights and shooting…. But you know, I feel that what I have to handle is nothing compared to so many women in our country who catch a train in the morning, go to work, come back in the late evening and yet have the energy to cook for their family and supervise their children’s homework. I have to do none of that.

How does your husband, Sriram Nene, handle the constant attention on you?

Madhuri: He’s a very secure person. He gives me my own space and in turn, I give him his space. We both have a lot of respect for each other and that’s only grown through the years. I am just as proud of him as he is of me.

Have your kids got used to their mother’s celebrity status?

Madhuri: They get very excited seeing me on TV. They loved Ghagra (from Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani). Initially, they would get a little overwhelmed with all the attention when they would be with me, but now they’ve learnt to deal with it. One question I keep getting asked all the time is: ‘Mommy, are you really that famous?’ (Laughs)

This year, we will see you in Gulaab Gang and Dedh Ishqiya. What has been the experience on both films?

Madhuri: Both are very, very strong roles and something that I have really enjoyed doing. Both the characters are very different; in Gulaab Gang, I play a female vigilante fighting social injustice, while the character in Dedh Ishqiya is that of a sharp and intelligent woman, a femme fatale if I may call it so. These are lovely roles to sink my teeth into and have really pushed me as a performer.

Did not being a part of Ishqiya make it tougher for you in the sequel?

Madhuri: Not really, because this is very different from that and my character, who is called Shahi Begum, has no connection to Vidya’s character (Krishna Verma) in Ishqiya. Dedh Ishqiya has a very different story and very different surroundings from the first film. The intrigue and the set-up have also been taken a notch higher. I really loved Vidya in the film… I thought she was a total knockout in the role… but in the sequel, the effort has been to make it as different as possible from the first film.

Karan, you are all set to make your proper acting debut in Anurag Kashyap’s Bombay Velvet with Ranbir Kapoor and Anushka Sharma…

Karan: This is the very first time I am actually nibhao-ing a kirdar, so to speak. I have otherwise always played myself in the cameos I have done. It’s a completely different zone for me and right now, I have no idea what it’s going to be like. I just hope Anurag Kashyap doesn’t slap himself for making this decision (laughs). But this will be a one-off and whether I will be able to display adequate histrionics is something that I have to see on set.

Were you surprised that he wanted you to play a negative role?

Karan: I was shocked! He just came to narrate the film to me and five minutes into it, he asked me to do the role. For a minute, I was completely zonked because I knew it was a completely negative role. But then I thought I should do it because who in the name of heaven would ever offer me a negative role again, given that I am such an immensely positive person (winks and laughs out loud).

You’ve been very experimental as a producer and now this tryst with acting…

Karan: I always try and shake myself up every few months because I am very prone to boredom. I am a Gemini and I believe in extremes… from working with the biggest stars in the country to casting rank newcomers, but I believe that everything needs to be taken up as a challenge.

Madhuri, have you given any acting tips to Karan?

Madhuri: Does he look like he ever needs acting tips?! (Laughs) He’s always mimicking people… he’s a really good actor. He should have got into acting much earlier, if you ask me.

After Ghagra, when will you two work together again (YJHD was produced by KJo)?

Karan: Well, Ghagra was always meant to be with Madhuri… if she had said ‘no’, I would have scrapped the song. So, you can imagine how keen I would be to work with Madhuri again. It’s always been a dream to work with her and though I wasn’t directing Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani, I was very much a part of the process. Ghagra, in a way, has been my first step towards a long association with Madhuri. Hopefully (smiles).

Priyanka Roy
What would you like to ask Madhuri and Karan?Tell t2@abp.in

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1130722/jsp/t2/story_17142690.jsp

#1 - Posted on Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:36 pm

View user profile

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum