Welcome to MDF-The Largest Madhuri Dixit Forum On Net.

At the moment, you are viewing the forum as a guest. As a guest you can't make post and participate in discussions. You need to register and become a member of the forum.Please log in if you are already a member or join our community if you're not yet....

Thank You

You are not connected. Please login or register

» Madhuri Dixit World » Latest News/Articles Section » A Question of Trend, by Varun Bahl

A Question of Trend, by Varun Bahl

Luskamralus

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Female
Number of posts : 8435
Registration date : 2008-10-24
A Question of Trend, by Varun Bahl

As a designer, I often find myself referring to various past decades in my design process. The flapper í20s, the frilly í50s, the psychedelic í70s: each of the past centuryís decades can be easily classified into strong trends that we fashion folk (and most of us were born only in the second half of the 1900s) can instantly recognize. We find it easy to chat about how drop waists are the best thing to come out of the í20s almost like we were there when it all happened. We obviously love, and hate, the power shoulders of the í80s (depending on the designer trying to revive them), and weíre totally into anything that even faintly touches the full-skirted í40s looks a la Christian Dior.

This brings me to Ďnowí. What will future generations of design professionals see when they look back at the (20)í10s and following decades? Even the í90s, supposedly the most subdued time in fashion history and also the most boring, managed to have a signature look that leaned towards minimalism and futurism. And ever since weíve come into the new millennium (feels like a miracle, doesnít it?), weíve done nothing but recycle the ideas of the past, sometimes cramming multiple decades into a single season.

But donít get me wrong. Iím not saying that taking a leaf from the classics is not OK. Iím just asking a simple question: what is the signature look of the first decade of the new millennium?

The answer, as it often does, may actually lie in the question. And as I progress with the writing of this feature (a writer must always think two sentences ahead), I am convinced of it. The first decade of the new millennium has paid tribute to all that was the best of the past century. It has celebrated, exalted, and made everything from the baroque to the bandage dress relevant again. And thatís the magic of fashion: it has the ability to renew and refresh. And thatís why I love being a designer.

My friends joke that I have multiple personality disorder, which, multiplied with my bipolarity (also equally fictional), is the reason that my clothes have so many cultural influences, all at once. And this is something that I revel in. The fashion of the future with be unique in that it will merge and combine all the best from everywhere, and celebrate a mix: it will represent the global community that going to come even closer as we share information faster and better, with people around the world. And thatís amazing.

A recent study found out (I know I should insert the name and credentials of this survey here, but hey, Iím a designer, not a journalist. Iím just glad I remembered!) that the human intellect has evolved faster over the last 300 years: at almost triple the rate than over the past 3000 years. And all of it can be credited to exposure to information, and the sharing of it. Curiosity, it seems, is making the cat wiser. Now, as to why Iím giving you this interesting little factoid: itís because while designers like myself may sit in our studios and create collections for you, dear reader, to wear, I am equally certain you will, because of the world we live in today, be able to recognize what comes from where in any particular piece of my design. You will be able to become a part of my thought process.

Going by this, I can safely say that the fashion historians of the future will see the first decade of the 2000s as a defining time. And while focused trends may elude us, in sheer variety this decade trumps all the past ones put together. This, then, is a trend that will never grow old, or old enough, even. And itís here to stay.
- Varun Bahl

http://madhuridixit-nene.com/fashion/post/a-question-of-trend-by-varun-bahl

#1 - Posted on Mon May 20, 2013 12:38 am

View user profile

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum