Welcome to MDF-The Largest Madhuri Dixit Forum On Net.

At the moment, you are viewing the forum as a guest. As a guest you can't make post and participate in discussions. You need to register and become a member of the forum.Please log in if you are already a member or join our community if you're not yet....

Thank You

You are not connected. Please login or register

» Madhuri Dixit World » Latest News/Articles Section » Dedh Ishqiya

Dedh Ishqiya

Page 5 of 5 Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Luskamralus

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Female
Number of posts : 8433
Registration date : 2008-10-24

#101 - Posted on Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:09 am

View user profile

aanchal

MDF Expert
MDF Expert
Female
Number of posts : 3313
Registration date : 2007-05-11
A lot is at stake with Dedh Ishqiya and Gulaab Gang - Madhuri Dixit

Dedh Ishqiya will see the return of Madhuri Dixit on silver screen after a long gap. But don’t make the mistake of terming it as her comeback. If you do that, be prepared to get castigated by Madhuri. How many times will I make a comeback,” the pretty actress asks anyone who dares to pronounce that dreaded term. Well, Madhuri may not exactly be making a comeback with Dedh Ishqiya but evidently much is at stake for this diva who needs a hit badly in her second innings. In a candid chat with Tellychakkar.com, Madhuri Dixit opens up about the current competition, pressure and how things have changed today in Bollywood.

Let’s start with Dedh Ishqiya. Tell us a bit about your character in the movie?

I play Begum Para which is a very beautiful character written by Abhishek (Chaubey). She is the Begum of Mahmudabad which is in Lucknow and is a very beautiful and poetic woman. She is a widow and holds a Swayamvar because it was her husband’s last wish that if she ever remarries then her second husband should be a poet. So every year she has this Swayamvara planned for her and many Shaayars from states across India come down to woo her.

We are seeing you after a long gap now. How much would you say is at stake with both Dedh Ishqiya and Gulaab Gang, considering that Aaja Nachle didn’t exactly hit the bull’s eye?

Well (pauses and thinks) a lot is at stake because as you said you are seeing me on screen after a gap. How the film does is very important. And the characters I play in both these movies, too are different from each other. Begum Para is a very strong character. It’s a multi layered character.

So are you nervous this time around?

No. Not at all. On the contrary, I am excited and very upbeat. I think Dedh Ishqiya is a complete entertainer.

Vidya Balan delivered a stand-out performance in Ishqiya? What do you think about her?

Well, she is a wonderful actress. I liked her not just in Ishqiya but in her first movie as well. In fact I had also mentioned at that time that Vidya is the one to watch out for. She is a great actress. I think she is very very talented.

Who do you see as your contender today?

I don’t look at anyone as my contender. I think our film industry is a very creative field. It’s not a race which you have to run and win. It’s all about how you better yourself, how well you can play your character, how cleverly you portray your role. It’s all about nurturing your talent and taking it forward. It’s not about competing with someone.

Do you have any favourite character that you would like to play on-screen today?

I don’t have a favourite character as such. I am more excited and interested in seeing how deep a character given to me is. I am thankful that cinema in India has come a long way and women today are portrayed as characters and not just victims as they used to be in earlier films.

How has the Bollywood changed from the 90s?

During those days, we never went out of our way to promote movies. There were four or five channels and not much was needed to be done. But now things have changed. We have to go all out and promote our movie today. We have to go out and say that this is our new product and please come and watch it. And plus you are watching a lot of stuff like serials, Hollywood films and many other things. So to make your product sell, you have to make a lot of noise. So I think it is more hardwork today than it was then. Yes it was hardwork then too because we didn’t have swanky vanity vans then as compared to now. But today it is hardwork of a different kind.

How did your husband find the rushes of Dedh Ishqiya?

Well Shriram loved the promos. He is very proud of my work.

How are your kids coping with Mumbai’s culture?

My kids love the informal culture that we have here. They love being here. The only thing they miss the park which you had in dozens in Denver.
http://www.tellychakkar.com/movie/interview/lot-stake-dedh-ishqiya-and-gulaab-gang-madhuri-dixit

#102 - Posted on Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:03 pm

View user profile

Luskamralus

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Female
Dedh Ishqiya character promo: Madhuri Dixit-Nene is loveable as Begum Para

The latest character promo from Dedh Ishqiya will make you go dhak-dhak
Madhuri Dixit-Nene is back and how, in the latest dialogue promo of Dedh Ishqiya one gets a sneak peek of Begum Para’s character and Ms Dixit-Nene is all grace, poise and full of adaa. She is the inimitable queen of expressions and her mere presence is mesmerising. While we thought that Vidya Balan’s absence in Dedh Ishqiya would create a void, Madhuri fits in perfectly as the matured beauty that everyone and anyone can fall in love with. If Vidya was the raw village belle, Madhuri is the glamorous woman who is more than just a pretty face, she can deceive you with her looks. Her dance, her dialogue delivery and her mere presence is like poetry in motion. MD looks a million bucks and is Begum Para, she’s fierce and flirtatious. Abhishek Chaubey is one lucky director, who manages to get a complete package of an actor in Madhuri.

http://www.bollywoodlife.com/news-gossip/dedh-ishqiya-character-promo-madhuri-dixit-nene-is-loveable-as-begum-para/

#103 - Posted on Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:05 am

View user profile

Luskamralus

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Female

#104 - Posted on Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:20 pm

View user profile

Luskamralus

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Female
Madhuri Dixit in Dedh Ishqiya

Bollywood diva Madhuri Dixit is set to make a comeback on the screen in a never-seen-before avatar in ready-to-release Dedh Ishqiya, a hinterland based thriller-drama.

Her role in Dedh Ishqiya is certainly a giant leap for the actress. Director Abhishek Chaubey is presenting her as a widow looking for a husband and she organises a poetry competition in her house every year where prospective grooms come and try to woo her.

“For women, it’s a great time to be in the industry. When they narrated the script to me, I was very excited. It’s a role that appealed to me,” said Madhuri who has some bold scenes with Naseeruddin Shah in the film, which also stars Arshad Warsi.

“Begum Para is a beautiful character written by Abhishek. She is a poetic woman. She is a widow and her late husband’s wish was that if she ever marries again, she should marry a poet.

“So every year she organises a swayamvar for her. She has been completely unimpressed for two years, but in the third year Babban (Arshad) comes,” she said.

Begum Para in Dedh Ishqiya marks her second innings in filmdom post marriage and when asked how important the film is for her, she said: “Everybody wants to see me after a gap. Begum is a strong character. She is a multi-layered kind of a woman. How the film does is very important.”

“The more depth in the character the more fun you get to perform,” Madhuri said when asked how comfortable she was with the bold role in Dedh Ishqiya, which brings her out of her comfort zone.

“I am so thankful that our cinema has come a long way, and I am happy that women are portrayed as characters and not just eye candy in the films. Women are very beautifully portrayed on the screen,” she said.

Dedh Ishqiya is a sequel to Ishqiya, a film that made its lead actress Vidya Balan a name to reckon with.

Madhuri rose on the film firmament in the late 1980s and 1990s with blockbusters like Tezaab, Ram Lakhan, Dil, Beta and Saajan.

After ruling the roost for years, Madhuri shifted base to Denver when she married US based doctor Sriram Nene in 1999. Her last big hit was Devdas.

http://www.dhakatribune.com/entertainment/2014/jan/01/madhuri-dixit-dedh-ishqiya

#105 - Posted on Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:24 pm

View user profile

Luskamralus

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Female
Sensuality is not how you move your body; it is how you use your face…” Madhuri Dixit-Nene

‘Madhuri Dixit’ — the name has been synonymous with all things graceful and beautiful. The gorgeous actress shares some trade secrets with SHUBARNA MUKERJI SHU

How many times does it happen that you enter a room and all eyes are on just one person? Very often, if you are moving in the same circles as Madhuri Dixit Nene! It has been long established that she is pretty, possesses the most winsome smile and stunning grace that often leaves men sighing and women jealous; yet, after all these years, she manages to surprise you, simply with her simplicity…
Don’t you tire with all the constant praise and awe that you garner wherever you go?
Home is my reality check! But, all said and done, it is always nice to hear compliments; it is one of the perks of this profession. I might have taken a break for a while to concentrate on my family, and today a lot has changed, but inside the industry it is still the same. So there are no surprises there and certainly nothing awkward about praise…
DEDH ISHQIYA… would you have done this film in the ’90s?
A good script is something that an actor always loves. At any time, that’s all we are looking for. DEDH… is beautifully written. When I read the script I hadn’t seen Abhishek Chaubey. I was really surprised when I actually met him – I couldn’t imagine a pony-tailed man with all the fuzz and well-worn jeans could write something so rustic… There are so many nuances in this film that are handled so maturely; that is commendable. Not just the relationship between Naseer Sa’ab (Naseeruddin Shah) and me, though that too is handled beautifully, but also Huma (Qureshi) and me. There has never been a film wherein two actresses have been pitched as friends – she is my accomplice, partner in crime and everything, she is the quintessential ‘sakhi’. In most other films, two actresses are either pitted against each other or share no scenes at all…
You bet, the times have changed! For someone who has worked through the ’90s till today, you have been party to many evolutions…
Yes, times have changed. I don’t know if there would have been a DEDH… or a GULAAB GANG getting commercial recognition earlier. Now, that is not to say that there were no strong women-oriented films being made earlier. Of course there were many – in fact, I have had the chance to star in a few but there is very obviously a shift in characterisation between then and now. Then, everything needed a reason… if a girl is a prostitute in all probability she was destitute or was forced into it. If she takes up arms she had to have been badly manhandled or something and has done so for revenge and so on. Women today don’t have to be apologetic about who they are. Everyone is accepted, no questions asked. It is far more liberating… we still have a long way to go, of course, but this is a good beginning.
Talking about emancipation of women characters, finally we are opening our mind towards the physical needs of a woman…
The audience has been really open-minded, that’s for sure. Though, I don’t think we are still very comfortable with a good woman lusting. But, like I said, we are growing, we are changing and therein lies the solution – the fact that we are willing to relearn.
There aren’t many actresses who have been able to walk that thin line between sensuality and sexuality. On the other hand, you, in all your glory, certainly can write a book on how to tread that thin line…
Please! Though you are right – it truly is a very thin line and it must be tread with care. It is not something that one can be taught as if it were a craft; it is rather innate. I believe it comes to me over the many years of dancing. Your body develops grace, poise and your face is tuned with the finer nuances than enhance the expressions. Like I said, it is not something that can be summed up in a book, for sure. A lot of times girls are made to dress in a particular way, as a means to make them look sensual. That’s where people go wrong. Sensuality is not how you move your body; it is how you use your face. So, while one can wear revealing clothes and all that to be a part of the character, to put your point across onscreen you must forget what you are wearing and concentrate on emoting via your face. That is something dance has taught me.
So nothing scares you as an actor? Even acting alongside Naseeruddin Shah or playing some whacked out characters…
Yes, I admit for my first scene with Naseer Sa’ab, somewhere at the back of my mind, I was like, I need to nail this… It is just the repertoire he comes with that makes you think like that but really, post the first scene, I relaxed and the thought just flew out of the window. He is a wonderful actor and a friendly person so that completely took care of it all. As far as the characters I have had to play are concerned, my only concern is that no matter what I do, I shouldn’t look vulgar. I would hate to not be able to look into the eye of all my characters. I need to give them that respect, need to make sure that they are understood and accepted.
With that gorgeous face, it is certainly not an insurmountable feat, is it? At 46, people are still completely enamoured by you…
That is just because there are so many who love me. As a professional of course, I try my level best to look presentable but then that is not too much of a task because I do not have any bad habits. I don’t smoke, drink or anything. I watch what I eat and dance a lot. I guess doing something that makes you happy, takes care of that ‘glow’ factor.

http://freepressjournal.in/sensuality-is-not-how-you-move-your-body-it-is-how-you-use-your-face-madhuri-dixit-nene/

#106 - Posted on Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:24 am

View user profile

Luskamralus

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Female

#107 - Posted on Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:27 am

View user profile

Luskamralus

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Female
Character Shop

At the very outset of the interview, Payal Saluja clarifies a common misconception, drawing a clear distinction between costume and fashion designing. "A fashion designer follows trends and seasons whereas for a costume designer, script is the bible," she says, adding, how it often gets mixed up. She is not a fashion designer, but some of her costumes for films have made fashion statements, such as Vidya Balan's raw and sensuous blouse in Ishqiya, or the mix of modern and traditional in Sonam Kapoor's look in Raanjhanaa. It is likely that the heavily embroidered anarkalis that she made Madhuri Dixit wear in the upcoming Dedh Ishqiya may become a talking point in the coming days. The 37-year-old costume designer is a regular with Vishal Bhardwaj films — Maqbool, Ishqiya and Saat Khoon Maaf. After last year's Raanjhanaa, she is back with Abhishek Chaubey's Dedh Ishqiya, another from Bhardwaj's stable.

Saluja's greatest strength is her keen character study. Like the filmmakers' style she has largely worked with, her taste is understated and subtle. Bhardwaj's characters, for example, are minimally adorned. And to bring out their essence she depends heavily on their body language. "Ninety per cent of someone's personality comes out through his body language. I try to observe that in people. I try to catch on to details that people will identify with, little stories that will cook up the characters," says Saluja. She talks about the custom-made kurtas studded with gemstone buttons she used to convey the shaukeen side of the otherwise cold-blooded underworld don Abbaji, played by Pankaj Kapoor in Maqbool. Arshad Warsi's happy-go-lucky Babban, in Dedh Ishqiya is also insecure and hence overdressed in fake Nike shoes and loud, flashy clothes. It is a contrast to Naseeruddin Shah's Khaloo jaan, who is more "internal" and hence more understated and refined. She found it challenging to break Dixit's larger-than-life screen persona and transform her into Dedh Ishqiya's Begum Para. "We had interactions where I understood her body structure, the character and made sketches before we arrived at a look," she says. For Dixit's unreal, old-fashioned beauty, Para, she went back to the old-styled Awadhi clothing such as churidars and anarkalis.

It wasn't until she was doing a short course in Ahmedabad's National Institute of Design that she realised her interest in films. Assigned to create costumes for a Tenali Raman spoof, Saluja shone the brightest among the group of students. She did the research for the characters with ease, a trait she, in restrospect, attributes to her childhood days. "If my cousin wanted to look like Amitabh Bachchan or like Helen, I would create it or tell them what to wear. I was good at putting things together, and as I realised later, a strong visual memory," she says.

As something that connects with the audience subliminally, the use of costumes, can be complex in its own ways. A character, for example, maybe not be in his brightest mood, but that doesn't necessarily mean he will wear dull clothes, he may want to overcome the internal void by wearing something bright. This especially comes to play in many of Bhardwaj's films that are populated with twisted characters, whose motives are not always transparent. Saluja draws the essence from the heart of the places her characters inhabit. Like the small town flavour of Raanjhanaa's Benaras, Dedh Ishqiya's Lucknow is full of understated, nawabi elegance.

Her work is identified with distinctly Indian, rustic or period settings but she is ready to experiment. She wants her work to be as invisible and non-intrusive as possible. "The best compliment I got was when someone asked me if I really had to do anything at all for Manorama 6 feet Under, since everybody was wearing regular clothes," she adds.

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/character-shop/1214794/0

#108 - Posted on Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:54 pm

View user profile

aanchal

MDF Expert
MDF Expert
Female
UP CM Akhilesh Yadav gets special invite for 'Dedh Ishqiya' premiere
Abhishek Chaubey, the director of the soon-to-release Dedh Ishqiya has invited Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister to the premier of the film, which was extensively shot in Lucknow, the state capital.

Dedh Ishqiya, which is the sequel to Chaubey's 2010 hit film Ishqiya stars Madhuri Dixit, Huma Qureshi along with Naseeruddin Shah and Arshad Warsi, the lead actors from the previous film, as Khalu and Babban, respectively. Dedh Ishqiya is also Madhuri's comeback film, with her playing a pivotal character in the film.

The film was shot extensively in and around Lucknow and hence the producer of the film Vishal Bhardwaj and the director Abhishek Chaubey thought it fitting to have a premiere of the film in Lucknow and invite the state CM for the premiere as the chief guests. Apparently the CM has also given his consent to be the chief guest for the show as he told us, "Yes, I am going for the premiere of Dedh Ishqiya."

Stars of the film including Madhuri Dixit, Naseeruddin Shah and Arshad Warsi are expected to be present for the premiere which has been planned for January 9, 2014.

#109 - Posted on Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:18 am

View user profile

Luskamralus

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Female
Dedh Ishqiya gets U/A certificate; C-word muted

The much-awaited DEDH ISHQIYA was given a U/A certificate on December 30, 2013. The following is the CutList detail:
- The visuals of Camel were deleted
- The bed scene was blurred
- The word 'Nuni' was deleted and replaced with 'Gilli' whenever it occurs in the film
- The word 'chutiya' was muted whenever it occurs in the film
- The word 'Ram' was replaced with 'Nawab' in the dialogue 'Begum Paro ko Ram mil jayegi'
- The word 'Pant' was deleted and replaced with 'Chaddi'

http://fenilandbollywood.blogspot.in/2014/01/dedh-ishqiya-gets-ua-certificate-c-word.html

#110 - Posted on Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:13 pm

View user profile

Luskamralus

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Female
UP CM Akhilesh Yadav announces Rs 1 cr grant to Madhuri Dixit's 'Dedh Ishqiya'

Lucknow: Call it the Uttar Pradesh's young Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav's recognition of Madhuri's magic or simply an effort to promote UP as the shooting place for the Bollywood movies, a grant of Rs 1 crore has been sanctioned to 'Dedh Ishqiya'.

Abhishek Chaubey, the director of the soon-to-release Dedh Ishqiya had invited Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister to the premier of the film, which was extensively shot in Lucknow, the state capital.

Bollywood stars Salman Khan and Madhuri Dixit will perform Wednesday in Saifai, the ancestral village of Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav and Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav.

The organisers of the annual fair 'Saifai Mahotsava' said the evening will also see stars like Soha Ali Khan and Ranveer Singh.

Two dozen other small and big actors will perform as well at the event which has become a major attraction for the people of the region including Etawah, Mainpuri, Firozabad, Shikohabad and Agra.

It is organised every year in memory of a late nephew of Mulayam Singh Yadav and is attended by film stars, politicians, corporate honchos, ministers and officials.

This year, music composer duo Sajid-Wajid will belt out their chart busters. Chartered planes have been hired for the event to bring in VIPs and film artists.

http://www.pardaphash.com/news/up-cm-akhilesh-yadav-announces-rs-1-cr-grant-to-madhuri-dixit-dedh-ishqiya/728081.html

#111 - Posted on Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:21 am

View user profile

Luskamralus

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Female

#112 - Posted on Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:13 am

View user profile

Luskamralus

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Female

#113 - Posted on Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:55 am

View user profile

Luskamralus

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Female

#114 - Posted on Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:08 pm

View user profile

aanchal

MDF Expert
MDF Expert
Female

Begum Madhuri decoded

By Saionee Chakraborty

Thursday, 16 January 2014 10:03 AM

Like many of us, Payal Saluja has danced to Ek do teen and has been a “huge Madhuri Dixit fan”. The costume designer, who recently did her first film with Madhuri — Abhishek Chaubey’s Dedh Ishqiya — decodes Begum Para for us.

How did your first meeting with Madhuri Dixit go?

This was my first project with Madhuriji. She is a thorough professional. We were well-prepared before we met her, having done our groundwork for almost two months. She was also quite thorough with the script. She gave me a few suggestions in terms of her body structure. In one of her dance costumes, I had used a dupatta, the big three-metre style. But it was too heavy, as I had gone traditional. She said to go as minimal and delicate as possible, which is also the nawabi style. We decided that we should go with curls for Begum Para. There are technicalities to it which she always comes up with because of her experience. So, I also learnt many things. But she let me do my work.

What all did you learn?

I went to Lucknow to research Awadhi costumes. I love reading history. Madhuriji is an epitome of humility. You realise why she is where she is. She is so centred and grounded. She just always knows how much to add on. Sometimes I would have lots of jewellery and she would say, ‘Let’s cut down on one element’. And then even I felt that. She understands that going minimal is good and it went well with the theme of the film too.

Did styling Madhuri Dixit come with ‘extra’ pressure?

She has a larger-than-life persona. My challenge was to break through that strong persona and make her look like Begum Para, so that people see her as Begum Para and not Madhuri Dixit. That was important for the film too, which we achieved. Having worked for so many years, I wasn’t nervous. (Smiles) Once I met her, I was more at ease than what I had thought I would be. She is very friendly.

Take us through Begum Para’s looks…

Ishqiya was a rustic and raw film. Dedh Ishqiya is subtle. We used the refinement of the nawabi culture and kept it understated. I worked strongly around colours. I tried to understand some of the old terms, like zeher mohra (a greenish blue stone), which inspired a teal blue outfit. She has worn Anarkalis, but we kept them subtle and modern. We gave her sheraras and ghagras and didn’t go with the typical gharara. Instead of cholis, she has worn kurtis. For the dupattas, I used a lot of net because that was the British influence coming into the nawabi culture. Awadhi badla, chikan and zardozi were used. I sourced the jewellery from these small lanes of Lucknow where karigars still make old-style jewellery. Muslim jewellery has an influence of chaand and tara. The designs I have used are all old. There is inlay, jadau and kundan work. Some of the jewellery was sourced from Delhi and some we got custom-made in Mumbai.

Did you make a conscious effort to deviate from her Chandramukhi look in Devdas?

Everything about Chandramukhi was in excess. She was larger than life. But Begum Para is understated. She is royalty. Nafasat and nazakat are the two words I would use for Begum Para.

Was Sabyasachi Mukherjee an inspiration for the looks?

No, for me Awadhi and Lucknowi clothing, British influence on the nawabi culture and how it has changed over a period of time were inspirations. Sabyasachi’s work is really good but this film has Awadhi influence.

How can the reel look be adapted in real life?

If you want to acquire Madhuri’s look, try an Anarkali and stick to monotones. Try to avoid strong, contrasting colours. Another trademark look for the begum is the pasa (hair ornament). Also, try curls. It brings out the softness... and a nose stud can also be added. With all that don’t forget to chew a paan!

What are you working on next?

I have registered my first story. I am toying with the idea of a film, but it is not an easy journey from a concept to a film. It is new for me. Let’s see…. I read extensively and write a little bit of poetry too.

The other players

Naseeruddin Shah

His persona is very serious at times but when you least expect it, he will crack a joke! Maqbool was my first film with him. When I went with the references and sketches to him, he understood my thought process. That was amazing. He uses his costumes to his advantage, like playing with the shawl. With him, you never feel he is wearing a costume. He looks so lived-in. He makes it his own so effortlessly. He is very open and never starts on a negative. I did old-style sherwanis where the pockets are lower… the purdah sherwani. He knew about it!

Huma Qureshi

She is photogenic and looks beautiful in the film. She has some kind of an untouched beauty and dancing eyes. She is wearing Anarkalis with a seedha pyjama, which is an old style. Muniya is the connection between Ishqiya and Dedh Ishqiya. She is raw but has traces of the nawabi culture.

Arshad Warsi

Babban is a brand for me. That’s why we couldn’t change Babban too drastically. So, he still has his kohl-lined eyes and his baalis, checked shirts and trademark gamchha. Some of his shirts have embroidery, which is an influence of the nawabi culture. He also wears sherwanis!

Payal’s Top 5

Ek do teen (Tezaab): I love that look because it is so carefree.

Didi tera devar deewana (Hum Aapke Hai Koun..!): It was so apt for that time. In Maye ni maye, Madhuri was in a simple yellow kurta and yet she looked so beautiful.

Hum ko aaj kal (Sailaab): So minimal yet effective.

Mrityudand: It was also an interesting look and her role was so strong. We see Madhuri in all shades there.

Dedh Ishqiya: Of course! It is one of my favourites because I associate with it. She’s looking out of the window. The silhouette of a head covered in a dupatta. You can see the hint of red. The mind travels back in time, 20 years ago, when a chirpy Nisha breezed in (she roller-skated) on screen in an orange phulkari jacket in Hum Aapke Hain Koun..!. The purple sari and three-quarter sleeved khidki blouse in Didi tera devar deewana, the emerald green-and-white lehnga and the superstar-status that colour combo attained overnight…. Hum Aapke... made magic fashion moments (at least back then they were). Dedh Ishqiya, Madhuri Dixit’s ‘comeback’ (where did she go?), was not as magical, fashion-wise or otherwise. But it made for fabulous fashion memories nevertheless.

Madhuri’s prettiness parade in dedh ishqiya. starring: sheraras and jhoomars

She’s looking out of the window. The silhouette of a head covered in a dupatta. You can see the hint of red. The mind travels back in time, 20 years ago, when a chirpy Nisha breezed in (she roller-skated) on screen in an orange phulkari jacket in Hum Aapke Hain Koun..!. The purple sari and three-quarter sleeved khidki blouse in Didi tera devar deewana, the emerald green-and-white lehnga and the superstar-status that colour combo attained overnight…. Hum Aapke... made magic fashion moments (at least back then they were). Dedh Ishqiya, Madhuri Dixit’s ‘comeback’ (where did she go?), was not as magical, fashion-wise or otherwise. But it made for fabulous fashion memories nevertheless.

As Begum Para Mirzada, she had the whole sherara thing going. Mid-thigh kurtis, dupatta draped across front, covering the head, strategically placed to show the necklace. Such a flattering silhouette, hides the horrible fat around the middle, elongates the torso, skims the legs and delicately frames the face. She wears them in all colours — red, rust, green.... Brocade bootis, Sabyasachi-esque borders, dominated by his signature leaf-gota borders, they are great fakes (like most out there) and give way only on closer inspection.

The highlight is that display of jewellery. The maangtika, the jhoomar, the kundan necklaces, jhumkas, jadau rings, studded pachhelis, lots of glass churis and that darling diamond nose-pin. All together and never for a moment over the top.

Other than the sherara parade, there are some other standout moments. The baby pink chiffon sari at the outdoor shooting competition, it’s a lovely throwback to Maharani Gayatri Devi at the polo matches. Begum Para wears those retro cat-eye sunglasses quite like the Rajasthan royalty. The simple pastel suits she wears towards the end of the film. The beige Anarkali she dances in.

Not breakthrough, but very beautiful. Just like the rest of the film.
http://www.abplive.in/incoming/2014/01/16/article247427.ece/Begum-Madhuri-decoded#.UtfgxfvcBn8

- The Telegraph, Calcutta

#115 - Posted on Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:40 pm

View user profile

Luskamralus

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Female
I Regret Having Left Poetry: Madhuri Dixit

Madhuri Dixit Nene made a 'blasting' re-entry with an item dance in Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani. Though her just released film Dedh Ishqiya did not get a grand opening at the box office as compared to the sequel Ishqiya, the film is forging ahead, thanks to Madhuri Dixit and Naseeruddin's name associated with it, and ofcourse due to Arshad Warsi's mind-blowing comic timing. In a chit-chat with Sonika Mishra from Oneindia, Madhuri Dixit spoke in detail about her upcoming film Gulaab Gang and her just-released film Dedh Ishqiya. Madhuri also spoke about her children, husband and even shared her incomplete desires with us. Here are some excerpts from the interview with Madhuri Dixit Nene... You have already begun the year with strong woman-oriented roles with Dedh Ishqiya (You assessed the role of Begum Para) and now as a leader of a women's organisation in Gulab Gang. How do you feel about this? Begum Para in Dedh Ishqiya is a beautiful character, who loves poetry. I am presently assessing the role of a leader of a woman's organisation. This organisation not only helps women, but everybody who need help. So, in a whole my role in both my initial films of the year is strong and woman-centric.

You have made a comeback in Bollywood with two powerful roles after a long hiatus. What are the changes you notice in Bollywood as compared to the 90's? Which is the character that you long to portray in your films?
I have no such favourite character to speak about. The more intense the character, the more I enjoy playing the role. I thing cinema has come a long way and this is the best time for heroines. Actresses are not viewed just as an 'eye candy' and are given good and meaty roles.

Director Abhishek Chaubey said that after you wanted a role like that of Vidya Balan in Ishqiya. You have always been oriented with family oriented movies like Beta, Dil Tho Pagal Hai, Hum Aapke Hai Kaun. What then prompted you to try out a bold character like this?
When I was narrated the story of Dedh Ishqiya and was told about my character in the film, I was super excited! Begum Para in Dedh Ishqiya is multi-facaded and that's exactly the reason why I gave a nod to the film. When I did Mritudand, many had questioned my decision, but that was my personal choice and Dedh Ishqiya too is my choice! I never faced any problem during the making of the film.

You would have definitely watched Ishiya. What is your opinion about Vidya Balan as an actress?
Vidya Balan is a beautiful and an excellent actress. Vidya was stupendous in Ishqiya as well as other films like The Dirty Picture. So, I am definitely not competing with Vidya, but only tried to justify my role in the film.

Do you also like other stars give importance to the '100 Crore Club' and how important it is that your film should be included in the Rs. 100 crore club?
The 100 crore club is of no importance to me, and I don't work to be included in the 100 crore or 200 crore club. In earlier times, films used to be called silver jubilee, golden jubilee, etc. But ofcourse, there is a lot of difference between cinema 'then' and cinema 'now'. In those days, there were lesser number of theatres in the city than it is today. Today films release together in theatres and the price too has increased.

Actresses today are more open-minded and are quite connected with their fans. What do you think about the life of heroines today?
A lot has changed over a period. In earlier times, we use to do only 1-2 interviews and never ventured out to promote our films. But today, actresses have to work harder, especially for the promotion of their films.

How do your children feel about relocating to India? What is it that they miss now?
My children enjoy living in India and they love the 'open and frank' atmosphere out here and they like the atmosphere in school as well. However, they miss the open space and parks in foreign countries. As far as I am concerned, I have always enjoyed living in Mumbai. For me, it's like coming back home.

Do you feel that even today, Bollywood is male dominated?

Even today actors easily get to do lead roles even after crossing the age of 40. However, it doesn't happen much in the case of actresses. Besides, heroines are made much lesser than heroes. But this is the case not only in films, but every sphere of life. I feel even today that women have to work much harder than men to prove their potential. However, things have changed a little now.

Since you have begun working once again, are you able to give enough time to your family?
My family comes first to me. Since I have returned to Mumbai, I have always adjusted my work in such a manner that I am able to give enough time to my husband and children. This, I think is the story of every working woman, not just actresses.

After Devdas, you worked with Birju Maharaj for the second time in Dedh Ishqiya. How was the experience. Remo Fernandes also choreographed a song in the film. What do you have to say about the dance number?
The choreography in Dedh Ishqiya was brilliant. Remo too did an outstanding job of the dance sequence considering that it was not at all his style or genre! In fact, I myself was shocked seeing his work. In once dance choreographed by Birju Maharaj, I only had to emote in the entire song, with zero lipsing. That was delightful and I totally enjoyed that.

Begum Para in Dedh Ishqiya loved poetry. Does Madhuri Dixit too enjoy poetry?
There was a time in my life when I wrote verses and poetry since I always loved Urdu. I late gave up that hobby which I regret till date. I have always loved the works of Gaalib, Mir and Faiz.

Was your wedding to Dr. Nene a sudden decision or a well-thought of act since he is not from the industry?
When I first met Dr. Nene, I did not even know that he was a doctor. I liked him as a person and as we kept meeting each other more often, we became close and decided to get married.

How was your experience working with Naseeruddin Shah?
My chemistry with Naseeruddin Shah was awesome. I never felt any sort of embarrassment while acting with Naseeruddin Shah. The script of the film is also important in ascertaining the chemistry between the actors.

http://entertainment.oneindia.in/bollywood/features/2014/dedh-ishqiya-madhuri-dixit-nene-interview-129780.html

#116 - Posted on Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:32 pm

View user profile

Luskamralus

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Female

#117 - Posted on Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:58 am

View user profile

Sponsored content

#118 - Posted